How to Create a Successful Community Strategy: A Comprehensive Guide
- How to Create a Successful Community Strategy: A Comprehensive Guide
- Resources for Further Reading
- Social Content Strategy
- Corporate Community Strategy
- Next Steps
When it comes to creating a community strategy, it's crucial to start by understanding your own definition of "community." This may vary depending on the client or employer you're working with, as different people have different internal understandings of what a community entails. Just like describing concepts such as "love" or "freedom," it is important to get on the same page and build upon that shared understanding.
Breaking down the concept of "community," especially in a business context, often leads back to traditional business goals. While "community" may be a trending buzzword, it's essential to move past the jargon and gain clarity on what it truly means for your specific situation.
Once you have a clear understanding of the community's definition, it's crucial to establish where you fit into the equation. In a professional sense, I view "community" as a grouping that comes after the initial social media engagement. Social media primarily focuses on attracting attention and building awareness, while community-building involves fostering deeper and more intimate relationships. To achieve this, it's essential to create your own environment where you can shape the community experience more intimately. By separating marketing-oriented community efforts during the growth phase of social media from experience-oriented community efforts post follow/signup, you can avoid diluting your impact and achieve more meaningful results.
Consider the characteristics of your industry while developing your community engagement tactics. While each industry is unique, community engagement strategies can often be adapted universally. Embrace an experimental mindset and leverage data to identify what works best for your specific community. If there is existing data on successful community strategies in your industry, use it as a starting point and build upon it to tailor your approach.
To ensure long-term success, begin with a 90-day strategy. Michael D. Watkins' book, The First 90 Days, is a valuable resource for developing a comprehensive strategy within a corporate setting. If your company has the budget, collaborate with them to establish a 90-day plan. This timeframe allows you to immerse yourself in the company's culture, understand their true objectives, and align your efforts accordingly. Remember, what the employer or client initially desires may evolve over time, so staying adaptable is key.
By following these guidelines and implementing a thoughtful and strategic approach, you can create a thriving and successful community strategy that drives meaningful engagement and growth.
- Define your own understanding of "community" and ensure alignment with the client or employer.
- Establish your role in the community-building process, focusing on deeper relationships beyond social media engagement.
- Consider the characteristics of your industry and adapt community engagement tactics accordingly.
- Embrace an experimental mindset and leverage data to identify effective strategies for your community.
- Develop a 90-day strategy, immersing yourself in the company's culture and aligning efforts with their objectives.
- Stay adaptable as the employer or client's desires may evolve over time.
- Implement a thoughtful and strategic approach to drive meaningful engagement and growth in the community.
- Explore resources for further reading on social content strategy and corporate community strategy to enhance your knowledge and skills.
- Continuously learn, adapt, and iterate based on the unique needs and dynamics of your community.
Resources for Further Reading
Social Content Strategy
For those focused on social content strategy, particularly in consumer-driven brands, consider exploring the following resources:
- The GaryVee Content Model
- Create a Social Media Marketing Strategy in 2023 [Canvas + AI Tools]
- Justin Welsh’s Social Media Strategy for 2023
Corporate Community Strategy
If you're interested in corporate brand community strategy, the following resources offer valuable insights:
- The Three Level Strategy Framework | CMX Hub
- The Feverbee Community Strategy
- Building A Community Strategy | Community Roundtable
Remember, continuous learning and adaptation are essential for ongoing success in community strategy. Stay open to new ideas, experiment, and iterate based on the unique needs and dynamics of your community.